Have you ever watched a speaker completely captivate everyone in the audience and wondered to yourself…”How do they do it?”
If you’re like most people you probably assume that these speakers are just born with the ability to control and entertain a room full of people. Well I am here to tell you that’s not the case.
While it’s true that not everyone is a natural public speaker, at Rule the Room, we believe natural public speakers can be made.
Believe it or not but Jason Teteak, Founder and CEO of Rule the Room had to overcome his own fear of public speaking, and today he is seen as a premier provider of successful communication solutions.
If you aren’t one of those natural public speakers, presenting can be deceptively hard to do. We’ve all heard the cliche advice like:
- Picture your audience naked
- Just wing it
- Use props
- Use index cards
- Have a great powerpoint show
But what most people don’t realize is how these myths can become monsters, and can hold many of us back from giving a great presentation.
Great Public Speakers Aren’t Just Born, They’re Made
Not all great speakers need to perform to be great. Sure, some are performers, but others are inspirers, some are fascinators and others are energizers. What are you? If you haven’t done it yet, we highly encourage you to take our Presentation Personality test. Because if you’re trying to be somebody else up there, how are you going to genuinely connect with your audience? When you learn to be yourself, you’ll start to see presentation magic happen, and you’ll be on the path to great public speaking.
What’s Your Presentation Personality?
Once you’ve taken the test, you need to focus on the piece of having more happiness for yourself when you attempt public speaking. Half of you will overcome nerves to get to this level of success in the spot light. You make the connection with who you are and own it the other half will learn to prepare to meet audience needs, authentically.
That’s a big piece.
And when you are authentic, you are also in a space where you are able to genuinely connect with your audience, which means that you are paying attention to your audience, not just focused on what works for you. It helps you to have a broader perspective (some call this being audience centered or servant-like leadership). You need to NOT just focus on where you are, but where THEY are. And not just some of their needs, not just the 25% that have the same style as you, but all the remaining 75% as well so you can lead them where you want to take them. When you are being really genuine, you will automatically connect with more of your audience.
For example, it turns out people don’t laugh when something’s funny. They laugh when they feel good, and they don’t feel good until they feel safe with you. That’s when they start to listen. When you’re one of the few that genuinely knows how to speak like the masters, you can truly change your situation. You can make an amazing connection. And that changes everything. You become an elite public speaker, and when you do, it will open doors for you.
When you master rule the room, several big shifts take place: You connect with people in new and more consistent ways. Rule the Room will reveal the underlying emotional reasons why they want to listen to you.
You’ll learn to create an immediate and powerful impression with people just by the way you stand,work the room with your body, and use your words and your voice to project a calm and a confidence under any circumstance.
And here’s one BIG Rule the Room secret….
It’s not about you; it’s about them– your audience. Ruling the room means keeping them so engaged, so excited, so focused in that they laugh when you need them to, cry when you want them to, and feel your presentation was designed exactly for them.
Imagine people packing the house to listen to you, lining upto get a brief moment with you, and craving what you have to say with such a passion that they offer to pay whatever it takes to have you come speak to them.
Just doing an “ok job” isn’t anything special. We don’t help you become an “ok presenter”. We help you become an amazing public speaker. Once you’ve mastered Rule the Room,it will change the game for you. It will change the course of your life.