How can you tell if you’ve hit a plateau with your public speaking skills?
The answer; expect it and plan for it.
And, be warned, you just can’t go on your impression of how well your audience is “listening”.
Those that stay ahead of the curve keep a learner’s mentality, challenging themselves by doing things like:
- seeking feedback
- assuming they have blind spots to their delivery
- taking video of themselves to be reviewed (by themselves or a coach LINK TO OUR COACHING HERE) and making investments of time to bettering their content development and delivery process.
- Staying curious and doing their PSLAB Assignments (LINK to PSLAB here).
Stay ahead of the curve for REAL ENGAGEMENT—shake the fake listeners.
What is fake listening?
- Ohh’s and ahh’s, head nodding– but actuallyon their Facebook page or shoe shopping online as you speak
- Daydreaming BUT maintain a “listening posture” or look on their face (Oscar worthy at times)
- Checking email or texting—PHUBBING you (snubbing you by checking their phone)
Give your listeners your best and get their attention in return. Because it’s not about you, it’s about them. Honor what you have to share by preparing like a PRO.